3/16/2007

Will corrosion cost more than the Iraq War?

I was just in our Houston office, checking on our military veterans training program. We've recruited and trained a number of veterans who want to follow an engineering career path after serving Uncle Sam. The candidates combine their military skills with cutting-edge engineering to protect our global infrastructure.

A number of the veterans in the program spent time in Iraq, and it got me thinking about other threats to our national security -- namely, our aging wastewater infrastructure.

We as a nation must combat this problem before it makes a serious impact on our quality of life. After doing a little research, I found a few interesting points that illustrate the gravity of our situation.

For starters, a recent report from the U.S. House Subcommittee on Water Resources and Development states a finding by the states a finding by the Environmental Protection Agency (EPA) that over the next 20 years the country will need to invest $300 billion to $400 billion to restore and replace our aging wastewater infrastructure.

In another recent report, Colorado senator Ken Gordon pegged the cost of fighting terrorism at more than $500 billion. Fixing our aging wastewater infrastructure might cost as much or more than that.

It's going to take a mammoth effort, but it's crucial to preserve our infrastructure security, and, by extension, maintain the level of comfort our engineers have secured for us.

Governments from the municipal to state level in all 50 states are pouring money into aging water and wastewater systems. The fact that governments are taking an active stance to guard against corrosion is good news. However, if cathodic protection isn't part of the solution, they're flushing our tax dollars down the drain.

Labels: , , ,

2 Comments:

  • Mr. Schutt,

    I'm choosing to comment on the most recent post since I found this blog - sort of like time stamping myself.

    I have to say that I respect and admire your effort - if this really is you. (My father introduced us back at NACE in San Diego.) There are enough publicist footprints over this site to make me a little cautious. Whether this comment (your first, I note) gets "approved" will help. I actually encouraged my own new CEO to start a blog, but his reaction was that the lawyers wouldn't let him do it.

    Despite strongly agreeing with your assessment of the state of just one part of our infrastructure, I have to say that I was a little put off by the glib transition from tauting your combat veteran hiring program to promoting a major potential market. Your facts are straight (although Gordon's estimate is hopelessly low), but as a veteran and VFW member, it seemed a little crass.

    Still, I would like to encourage blogging by corrosion engineers about their work. It's a worthy and overlooked field. Young people are very net-aware, and it's getting really hard to get students excited about our business. There is a lot of work to be done, and we need a lot of capable people. The learning curve in this industry is steep and goes very high.

    Keep it up. I'll be watching.

    By Anonymous Anonymous, At Mar 29, 2007, 12:45:00 AM  

  • Yes, it really is me, and I thank you for your comment. Sorry that I couldn't reply earlier. Thanks for reading and keep the feedback coming.

    By Blogger William R. Schutt, At Jul 24, 2007, 9:39:00 AM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]



<< Home